Committed to Our Mission for Over 70 Years
The mission of Life Navigators is to improve the quality of life for individuals with disabilities and their families.
Life Navigators envisions an inclusive community that supports safe, happy, and healthy lives for individuals with disabilities.
Life Navigators was founded by parents committed to developing programs and educational opportunities for their children with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Concerned families founded the organization to develop community-based services to support children and adults with disabilities to live, work and contribute to our community.
- Initiated the first day school for school-aged children with severe developmental disabilities.
- Started Milwaukee’s first Information and Referral Program focused on Disability Services.
- Initiated the Parent–to–Parent Support Program for families with a young child with a disability.
- Started Wisconsin’s first Citizen Advocacy Program matching individuals with disabilities with community volunteers for peer and social support.
- Became the first Corporate Guardianship provider licensed by the State of Wisconsin to provide this service to individuals in Milwaukee County.
- Hosted the first Challenger Golf Outing to raise funds from individuals and corporations to support programs and services.
- Designated as regional site of the National On–The–Job Training Project to develop community–based employment opportunities for persons with disabilities.
- Developed Intergenerational Family Support Program to provide service, support and planning to aging caregivers caring for a loved one with a disability.
- Initiated Milwaukee’s first Special Needs Trust Program, which allowed families to plan for the financial future of their loved one with a disability using a Trust I Community Trust.
- Expanded Life Navigators’ Special Needs Trust Program by offering a second trust option, the Trust II Pooled Trust.
- Completed Expanding our Impact Campaign and built a major building addition to our home. The campaign was completed to support program expansion now and for the future.
- Expanded Life Navigators’ Special Needs Trust Program by offering a third trust option for individuals over the age of 65, Trust III Pooled Trust.